We're delighted that Portugal are welcoming UK visitors for their well-earned holidays.
Please see below the latest entry requirements for customers travelling to Portugal. You should also make sure you check the latest news before you travel, as advice can change at the last minute. You will find the latest news here: FCDO Travel Advice for Portugal
You and all your party, except children under 12, must take a COVID-19 test and provide a negative result. This can either be a:
- Negative COVID-19 PCR test result, taken, at most, 72 hours before your departure.
- Negative COVID-19 LAMP test result, taken, at most, 72 hours before your departure.
- Negative COVID-19 TMA test result, taken, at most, 72 hours before your departure.
- Negative COVID-19 antigen test result, taken, at most, 48 hours before your departure.
- EU Digital COVID Certificate: If you have an EU Digital COVID Certificate you don’t need a negative COVID-19 test result to enter Portugal. Instead, you’ll have to show your EU Digital COVID Certificate. This is available for EU citizens, and those of Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein, and non-EU nationals living in EU member states. As the UK is no longer part of the EU, the EU Digital COVID Certificate isn’t available to most Britons.
Please note, the UK Government has advised that you can’t use the free NHS tests for international travel as the result certificates don’t contain all the required information.
You must show your test certificate before you board your flight to Portugal. Your airline is likely to deny boarding if you cannot show this at check-in. Check with your airline before you travel.
Screening on arrival
You will be subject to health screening on arrival. If your temperature is 38ºC or over or you show signs of being unwell, you may be required to take a further COVID-19 test and remain at the airport until you receive your test result.
Forms to complete before you travel
Everyone, including children, must complete an online passenger locator card before you arrive in Portugal.
Requirements before you check in to your accommodation
In addition to the above entry requirements, you will also need to show proof of your vaccination status or negative test results to check into your accommodation. You will need to submit this directly to the accommodation provider before you arrive at the villa. We will let you know how to do this on your travel documents.
Returning back to the UK
Mainland Portugal is on the Amber list for entry back into the UK. You must therefore also ensure you arrange the appropriate tests and forms for when you return home. You can find out more about what you need to do in our articles here: